[wisb] Saturday outing; local sightings offtopic ID help

  • From: Paul Bruce <birdsandfish50@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 19:01:31 -0700 (PDT)

Hey all, Couldn't wait for this moment to enter my sightings from Saturday with
the help
and aid of my partner Mark Benson, who I will publicly thank for his
transportation. We both
tallied ~60 species, which our excursion took us to: Mascoutin Trail, where we
didn't have
anything exceptionally rare or unusual.  Highlights included redhead, lesser
yellowlegs, snipe and
killdeer, the only shorebirds, ruby-crowned kinglet, gnatcatcher, 5 warblers
only. Mark got some photos
of a very cooperative and preening sora.  Next stop was Sullivans Woods, hoping
for a banner warbler
watch but to no avail.  A Tennessee was the only warbler. Heard a redeyed
vireo, otherwise it was boring
there, to say the least.  Our last visit was Uihlein Marsh, again quite dead,
the only highlight was a pewee.
Mark, if you care to add anything feel free to. He was teaching me about
dragonflies and frog ID.
     Birds from today, Monday were surprising.  Don't remember where I had a
merlin but it was a flyover.
Had to make an important run to Fond du Lac and on the way back, taking 45
northward, I found where
the CATTLE EGRETS were hanging out and holy wow! I wish I could've stopped to
count them all.
Birders' estimate said perhaps over 100 birds, just south of Faerhnwald Rd. Saw
a baybreast warbler at
North High today as well.  And now finally, I have to go OFF-TOPIC:
    Last night by the Kwik Trip on 9th and Koeller, and I need a cricket expert
here, I heard a peculiar but
cool sounding cricket. The chirp was a very short trill, or said to be 2
seconds. Rate was about 4 chirps in 15 seconds. Resembled like a cell phone
ring perhaps. One pitch.  Any guesses?  Feedback would be great.
     Paul Bruce, Oshkosh