[wisb] Saturday: Port Washington

  • From: thomas657@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 15:12:52 -0500

Sorry this is a bit late....

I headed to the Port Washington Harbor on Saturday.  Lots of Geese.  Not so
many ducks.

A large group of geese were amongst the piers, and many, many more far out into
the harbor.  As evening approached, they became very vocal and swam inward
toward the inner harbor breakwalls.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/6750668637/in/photostream

There were many ducks inside and outside the breakwall.  There was nothing out
of the ordinary.  Two others spotted a Barrows Goldeneye, but with my lowly
300mm lens, I couldn't get a good photo.  There were a beautiful hooded
merganser couple, particularly the male, but again, not much to show for it in
terms of photos.  There were other goldeneyes and many red-breasted mergansers.
 A male and female rb merganser swam by not too far off the outer breakwater.
Surprisingly, they were not spooked by my presence.  The female had a lure and
line stuck in its mouth. :-(

RB Mergansers:
Female with lure:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/6750669233/in/photostream