[wisb] Ruby-throated Hummer Jive Dancing, Polk County

  • From: Jeff Virant <rainbow@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 11:04:45 -0500

Hi everyone,
Yesterday while out applying remarkably odoriferous stain on my deck, I
suddenly had the privilege of seeing ruby-throated hummingbird behavior that I
had never witnessed. Because of the bizarreness of the behavior, I initially
assumed that either I or he (or both) were overcome by paint fumes! The male
was making repetitive diving arcs, U-shaped, right in front of my eyes at the
edge of the deck. In the face of the larger search for love in the universe, it
was foolish of me to assume that I had anything at all to do with the display,
paint fumes aside. To quote Sibley: “male hummingbirds of some species perform
elaborate swooping or diving aerial displays for females”. I should’ve realized
he was trying to impress his damsel, though I suppose the paint fumes may have
made it a little more elaborate. Nevertheless, I was honored to experience
something I had never seen before in his jive dance.

Best birding,

Jeff Virant
Deer Park, WI   (Polk County)
rainbow@xxxxxxxxxxx