[wisb] Rowley's Bay birds & fox, , Door Co

  • From: "Sue Peterson" <suechick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <doorcobirding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 16:55:43 -0600

At 8am this morning at Rowleyâ??s Bay, I saw a GREAT BLACK-BACKED GULL. Also, a
raft of about 300 Scaup sp., along with several Goldeneyes, Common Mergansers.
The ice is out again.
When I got my scope out to see what was on a sliver of land that separates
Rowleys Bay from Mink River, I noticed a reddish-orange object on the ground.
Probably an opened salmon.  As I watched, a Herring Gull landed next to it and
started eating. Other Herring hung about. Then the Great Black-backed moved in
and ate. . After a minute, the GBBG was pushed aside by a Raven, one of three
that landed nearby. Now we have Herring Gulls (8-10), one GBB Gull and two
Ravens standing or flying about as the one Raven ate. Then a GRAY FOX came
trotting out of the shrubbery and slowly advanced to the fish. The eating Raven
moved on, and the fox ate. When the fox was done eating, it picked up the fish
by mouth, and carried it into the woods. The others were left milling about.
It was like a King Of The Hill game, bird rules.

Sue Peterson
Ephraim
Door Co.