[wisb] Ross's Goose and a Mate???

  • From: C G <cghwauk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 00:15:59 +0000

The Ross' Goose was mentioned at our club meeting last night, where it was and
where it is now.  Late this morning I headed over to Hillburn Mill Road off Hwy
20 to search for the Ross's Goose in the pond - Not There.  I decided to head
over to Lower Phantom Lake because this is where it was, while scanning the
geese, I noticed 2 Trumpters and in the middle of the lake (amongst Canada's)
on the ice I saw a white bird with black tail feathers  (The Ross Goose will be
a life bird for me) and about a quarter size smaller than  the Canada Goose.
It was facing south for a long period of time when all of a sudden I see as it
turned that it was tightly side-by-side to another bird but of lighter in
color. I thought maybe I was fooled and they were a pair of Gulls so I called a
club member about what I was looking at and I mentioned the bird next to this
white one has white on the side of it's face or below the face (neck area).  I
watched them as I was talking when all of a sudden they took off into the sun
(literally).  I own the National Wildlife Federation Field Guide to Birds of
North America and when looking at the Ross's Goose, I also notice a small
picture identifying an adult, dark morph to which closely resembles what I saw.
 Do you think the Ross's Goose has a mate????  Someone has to check it out
tomorrow.  I decided to go back to the Hilburn Mill Road to check the pond
(it's about 4:00 pm) because they flew in that direction - nothing.  I came
back to Phantom Lake and called the club members (Dale and Maureen) to come out
(and they did) because there were 8 Trumpters, a pair of Merganzers, a pair of
Golden Eyes and what are those small ducks with white bills, oh yes, a Coot.  I
also identified a signet Trumpter that had a band around it's neck, 70E.  I
understand this Trumpter was born last year at Horicon and I'm to call the
Federal .... someone out there has to tell me what to do, because I don't know
where to report this sighting.  Anyway, the Ross's Goose was not there.
Sighted on the other side of the lake, possibly Scaups.  I did sight Tree
Swallows too and heard the Sandhill Crane.  I believe Spring is here - do ya
think???

Cathy Heyen
Brookfield, WI