[wisb] Ross's Goose, City of Manitowoc

  • From: <rcd2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbirdnet <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 21:47:57 -0400

While biking in Manitowoc and Two Rivers for green birds, I found a Ross's
Goose on the south side of the Manitowoc Impoundment.  It was with Canada Geese
feeding on the grass near the dog play area.  When I went to Charles Sontag's
house to let him know, he mentioned he has been seeing the bird for a number of
days.  Charles feels it is the same individual that was here last fall.  I feel
it is an odd duck and might try to spent the summer.  We shall see.  The record
late April departure date is 21 April.  There are also two May records.
--  two May spring departure records
1.  May 5, 2004 – Brown, Daryl D. Tessen
2.  May 7, 1997 – Ashland, Richard L. Verch
When I was leaving Charles' house (and stopped at the end of his driveway to
look both ways before crossing the street), I had an Eurasian Collared-Dove fly
directly over my head and land on the electric wires next to Charles' house.  I
rang the house bell and Charles got to see the dove.  He has lived in this
neighborhood for 45+ years and had never seen an EC Dove here.  It is a City of
Manitowoc first!
It was a good day for green birds.  My new finds were --
102. Ross's Goose
103. Gadwall
104. Red-throated Loon
105. Peregrine Falcon
106. Thayer's Gull
107. Glaucous Gull
108. Great Black-backed Gull
109. Caspian Tern
110. N. Rough-winged Swallow
111. Field Sparrow
   -- Bob Domagalski, St. Nazianz, Manitowoc County