[wisb] Roadside Birds

  • From: <rcd2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbirdnet <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 21:23:50 -0500

As a few others have mentioned, with this cover of snow, such birds as the
Horned Lark are now easy to find.  I am not able to recall seeing a Horned Lark
this fall and early winter at Collins Marsh.  Today I had 85 of them.  Other
species such as American Tree Sparrow and Junco were also easily found at the
edge of the road.  In some cases, I had to bring the car nearly to a halt for
fear of hitting the birds.  I have put over 30 CBC reports into the computer so
far.  Last winter, with our heavy snow cover, open field birds were found in
huge numbers.  Because this CBC year had little snow, open field birds were
hard to find.  Horned Lark numbers on the 2011 reports so far are especially
low.

    -- Bob Domagalski, St. Nazianz