[wisb] Retzer Nature Center (Waukesha Co.)

  • From: Mike Duchek <mikeduchek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 09:23:12 -0500

Went to Retzer Nature Center last night a bit after 5 pm on the way home with
at least 25 species right before it started to get dark.  Lateness of the day
made it hard to make out those birds hiding out in the backlit vegetation, but
there is some nice variety there including vireos (I saw for a brief moment a
dark spectacled bird with wing bars but couldn't make out the color before it
disappeared), warblers (palm, probable Nashville, and still several singing
yellowthroats) and sparrows (great look at a Lincoln's and also a
white-throated).  There was no one good spot, so I recommend walking around and
just seeing what you can find.  However, I will say the path heading up toward
the small orchard to where the overlook deck is right near HWY DT is usually a
good spot for sparrows for whatever reason.

-Mike Duchek, Waukesha, Waukesha Co.