[wisb] Request for help in identifying a possible TUNDRA SWAN

  • From: Zachary Sutton <zaksutton2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 15:06:24 -0600

I'm a little stumped and any help would be appreciated.
While visiting Lower Phantom Lake in Muklwonago, mixed in with three
Trumpeter Swans, I saw a swan that confused me.  I'm not an expert on
waterfowl, but I believe that the farthest swan in each picture might be a
TUNDRA SWAN instead of a Trumpeter Swan like I originally thought.  I
noticed an overall cleaner-white appearance, smaller size, and a difference
in the way the bill connects to the eyes compared to the Trumpeter Swans.
I did not see any yellow on the lores or the bill, but my Sibley guide said
that some Tundra Swans have no yellow, but they are rare.  If anyone could
help me come to a conclusion, I would really appreciate it!

A Tundra Swan might not be that exciting to some, but it would be a lifer
for me!

Pictures of the swan can be seen at the following link.  Some of them
provide a very clear comparison between the bird in question and the
definite Trumpeters.  If anyone knows a different place I should post these
to get confirmation, I would appreciate that information as well.  Thanks a
lot!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77072538@N08/?saved=1

Zak Sutton
Waukesha