[wisb] Heckrodt Nature Center, Menasha-2/19/12

  • From: Andrew Reimer <andrew.reimer21@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Bird Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 16:36:49 -0600

On a walk through Heckrodt this afternoon we came across a Barred Owl in a
willow tree within easy viewing distance of the boardwalk, although it was
facing the wrong way for which a short trek on the ice provided some very
nice pictures.  Also at Heckrodt were several dozen robins and a few Cedar
Waxwings feeding on what appeared to be buckthorn berries along the side of
the parking lot.  The more usual winter songbirds were also in abundance
and very active.  Sure didn't seem like Feb. 19.
I don't recall ever having seen a Barred Owl in the Appleton/Calumet County
area.

--
*Andrew Reimer*
*Appleton (Darboy), Calumet County*