[wisb] Reminder: Document Breeding Birds

  • From: tiger150@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2014 22:39:46 +0000 (UTC)

This is just a friendly reminder to take note of "Probable Breeding" and
"Confirmed Breeding" of birds this summer. The reason I urge you to do this is
because I want to include probable and confirmed breeding records in the summer
seasonal reports of the Passenger Pigeon. FYI, this "effort" is separate from
the Breeding Bird Atlas, which will start in Summer 2015.
Almost every bird is nesting or attempting to nest by this time, save for a few
non-breeding birds or "floaters" (i.e. younger Canada Geese, raptors). Some are
tending to fledglings whereas others are just beginning to build nests. I've
already been able to confirm breeding for Northern Harrier, Brewer's Blackbird,
Clay-colored Sparrow, Great Horned Owl, and more here in central Wisconsin.

Keep in mind that simply observing a bird carrying nesting material, food, or a
fecal sac counts as confirmed breeding. A male singing in one area for seven or
more days is considered probable breeding, as is a pair observed in appropriate
habitat. A full list of possible, probable, and confirmed breeding codes can be
found under "Add Details" next to each species on eBird.

I see that documenting breeding species is the June eBird Challenge, so now
you've got two reasons to submit breeding records to eBird this summer: the
potential to win a new pair of binoculars AND to make me happy. :)

As always, please let me know if you have any questions about bird breeding
behavior, how to enter these types of records into eBird, or the Breeding Bird
Atlas. Good birding!

Alyssa DeRubeis
Passenger Pigeon Summer Seasonal Report Compiler
Stevens Point, Portage Co.