[wisb] Red-necked Grebes - Schoenberg Marsh, Columbia County

  • From: Brian Doverspike <briandoverspike@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 23:00:17 -0500

Becky and I spent some time at Schoenberg Marsh this afternoon and located two
Red-necked Grebes building a nest.  We parked at the new parking area off Priem
Road and walked the pathway out to the observation platform.  Almost due north
we located the two grebes building a nest.  They were about 3/4 of the way
across the water and about 100 yards from shore.  The nest was way out in the
middle of the water with no cover present.  It seemed like an unusual spot for
me but they were building away.  One of the birds would climb on the nest and
the nest would sink almost until it disappeared, then climb off and begin
adding more material.  FOY for us.  Other FOY birds were a Palm Warbler in the
trees near the platform, a Brown Thrasher and a Great Horned Owl being mobbed
by Crows.  The owl we found by parking by the gated off road to the west of the
water.  The owl was about a hundred yards away in a dead tree and gave us great
looks for about ten minutes before flying off to the north.  I couldn't believe
it put up with the crows for that long before ducking for cover.

Earlier in the day we tried for shorebirds at the V ponds west of Deforest.
Lots of birds there but we only found Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, Pectoral
Sandpipers, Killdeer, and Dunlin.  I'm sure if someone spent the time other
birds would be found but the high traffic levels prodded us to move along.
Moving north we stopped at DM & I and met a fellow birder named Max who attends
the UW.  He pointed out a Horned Grebe to us, another FOY.  Two other FOY birds
there were a Cooper's Hawk and a Belted Kingfisher.  A beautiful day to be out
and about.

Brian Doverspike and Becky Anderson
Pardeeville, Columbia County