[wisb] Red Crossbill Recordings Wanted

  • From: Nick Anich <nicka29@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 13:48:34 -0700 (PDT)

I'm posting this request for Matt Young, who is studying Red Crossbills and is
looking for audio recordings. I sent him a (fairly bad) recording I took last
winter with a digital voice recorder in Vilas Co. and he was able to ID those
birds as Type 10. Please reply directly to Matt (may6@xxxxxxxxxxx).
Nick Anich
Ashland, WI

Hello,

There seems to be a nice influx of Red Crossbills currently happening across
parts of the Great Lakes and northeast.  If you don't know, the Red Crossbill
complex is made up of 10 different North American call types. Some researchers
think that some of the call types act as good biological species. Getting
audio-recordings is essential to solving the crossbill riddle. When you get a
crossbill recording you (or I) can run an audiospectrographic analysis to get a
signature of the birds voice, which then can be used to identify the individual
(or flock) to call type. These recordings will help us understand their ecology
and distribution better. There has been little work done on them in the Great
Lakes. Birds can be recorded by video camrecorders with audio, expensive
recording equipment, and even some cell phones now. I can usually make a
spectrogram of even pretty bad recordings. I recently was able to easily
identify a Type 1 in Tennessee that was
 recorded via cell phone. Pretty amazing.

Iâ??d love to run the analysis on anyoneâ??s recordings!

Thanks in advance for any help,
Matthew A. Young