[wisb] Re: Rare Bird Reporting

  • From: steven lubahn <stevenlubahn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 20:31:26 -0600

This listserve is a good resource for the records committee. If you end up
being the last person to see the bird then it is likely you will either post it
to Wisbird or to Ebird. Then your documentation can be used to confirm the late
date. Going through a dozen reports on the same bird takes time away from other
reports that require more consideration. It's just a waste of valuable time. 50
years ago we didn't have the tools and gadgets we have today to disseminate
information all over the place. Arrivals and departures are better recorded now
then ever. You probably know when you are looking at a rare bird if your
documentation is going to really make a difference especially these days when
images are posted almost instantly. It's more important to put the effort in
when it counts. Attached is a link that is a helpful outline to follow on
submitting a report.

http://www.birdfellow.com/journal/2011/01/23/a_lost_art_writing_descriptions_of_rare_birds

Steven Lubahn
Cudahy