[wisb] Raptorial lunch today

  • From: Buboarcto@xxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Elizkohl@xxxxxxx, rlenehan@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 02:05:01 EST

Hi all!

A friend and I were having lunch at a 4th floor window overlooking the
large open space east of the DATCP building in southeastern Madison today.
All of sudden a small brownish falcon came scooping past heading  southeast.
We thought "merlin" as it disappeared from our  view.  While searching for
it with binoculars, we observed a dark  object sitting on top of a very small
tree.  When it lifted off, it turned  out to be a dark morph Rough-legged,
soaring and circling with its  white wing areas glowing in the sun.  Another
raptor on a nearby power  pole turned out to be a Red-tailed.  After lunch,
a coworker observed  an immature eagle flying by on the north side of the
building.

Sandy-Ursula Petersen, rural Stoughton, Dane County and  Washington Island,
Door County