[wisb] Racine CBC - Pipits/Barrow's - other preliminary highlights

  • From: Eric Howe <wibirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 23:09:00 -0600

Preliminary highlights of the 12/19 Racine CBC...

   This morning, I found ten AM. PIPITS at Shoop Park.  They were in
the northwest portion of the golf course.  Also, a couple of
Peregrines harassing the Mallards and a 1st winter Gr Bl-backed Gull.

   Mid morning, I had permission to bird some private residences along
a one mile stretch of Lake Michigan, north of the Windpoint
Lighthouse.  Highlight was a male BARROW'S GOLDENEYE.  Unfortunately,
there is no public access to the lakefront for a 1.5 mile section,
however, on a calm day it may be possible to scope 0.5 miles south of
the Sienna Center. The entrance to the Sienna Center is located 0.6
miles north of 4 Mile Road/Erie Street.  (Out of courtesy, I will
check-in at the front desk to let them know I am walking the grounds,
though today they said it was not necessary if you are outside only.)
   The goldeneye location is 0.9 mile north of the Windpoint
Lighthouse, however, after reviewing an aerial map this location is
not in a direct line of sight from the lighthouse.  Hopefully he will
drift north or south of the current location for viewing.

   John Dixon and Gail Coombs located two AM. PIPITS at Meyer's Park,
bringing the Pipit total to 12.  He also picked up 4 WW Scoters,
Thayer's Gull, and other species.

  A feeder report yielded a Brown Thrasher that had been lingering for
about a week+.  Another field observer sent me a nice shot of a flock
of 100+ buntings on a rural road, west of I94.  Thanks, Nancy!

   A cold blustery day at the lakefront, however, a couple miles
inland it was rather pleasant!

Eric Howe
northern Walworth Co.