[wisb] Re: Barrow's Goldeneye in Dane??? (NO SIGHTINGS)

  • From: Jesse Ellis <calocitta8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 22:30:43 -0600

Hey Alex and all Barrow's searchers...
I can clarify this a bit - it came out a bit garbled at the Madison CBC
compilation. At around 1pm or so our group checked University Bay from the
boat launch area (a bit east of the Picnic Point parking lot), which offered
a clear view of most of the bay. There were a couple of leads in the ice
north of us in the bay, with only four Goldeneye, all Commons. This area is
where I gather the Barrow's was seen earlier in the day. However, further
out in more open, rougher water, were many Common Mergansers and Common
Goldeneye (and Canvasback and other waterfowl). Even with my scope up to 60x
the viewing was poor - the Goldeneye were diving and also displaying, and
the chop didn't help at all. We never saw anything that looked like a
Barrow's. HOWEVER. Better views could have been had from Picnic Point proper
- we were simply too far away to get good looks at all the birds in those
conditions, and we didn't have enough time to get better ones. I have every
reason to think that the Barrow's is still there (although if it gets cold
it might move out of the Bay, which would be not so good for refinding
regularly).

Good luck searching.

Jesse

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 10:19 PM, Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Alex -
>
> It was seen on the Madison CBC this morning (a first!), but Eric Wood and
> Jesse Ellis didn't find it this afternoon.  Apparently there is a small area
> of open water on University Bay, and it was in there.
>
> Peter Fissel
> Madison WI

Jesse Ellis
Madison, Dane Co, WI