[wisb] Re: RFI: Birding with a toddler...can it be done?

  • From: Rockne Knuth <rockneknuth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: WISBIRDN <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 18:25:34 -0700 (PDT)

I have two boys who were ten years apart.  I took both of them with me when I'd
go birding.  Jerry's response to this was perfect.  There are sacrifices to be
made.  But sharing the wonders that your little ones experience is like
discovering the world all over again.    My oldest, Kevin, became a physicist
while continuing to be an avid birder.  The summer before last, he took me with
him to a conference in Brazil so that we could bird the Atlantic Rain Forest
for 10 days together.  The ultimate rewards are great!
My youngest, Joshua, preferred fish and fishing, so I went fishing, with some
birding on the side.    It wasn't long and he was teaching me.  He has become
an painter, sculpture and taxidermist and the best fisherman I know.
Rockne Knuth
Fond du Lac

"Perhaps it is always the destined role of the compassionate to be strangers
among men.  To fail and pass, to fail and come again."
                                                  Loren Eiseley
                                                  Unexpected Universe