[wisb] RFI: Birding with a toddler...can it be done?

  • From: Aaron Stutz <agstutz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 16:04:42 -0500

Hi all,

As some of you know I have a 15 month old son that frequently
accompanies me on birding excursions.  When my son was an infant,
birding with him was pretty easy.  I could put him in a backpack and
hike for 5+ hours while he napped.  Now my son is larger, heavier, naps
less and wants to explore areas on his own two feet.  His increasing
weight makes carrying him in the backpack and hiking trails less
enjoyable for me.  He wrecks my posture and his movements make focusing
binoculars a challenge.  Clearly the easiest option is to just go
birding without him, but if I only went birding when someone else could
watch Jonas then my birding opportunities would be severely limited.

So my question is....

Do any of you have suggestions on how to get some quality birding in
while accompanied by a toddler?

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Aaron Stutz
Madison, WI
Dane County

P.S. There was a relatively late Turkey Vulture flying over my house
today and a good assortment of sparrows at the feeders.