[wisb] RBA Madison, WI 25 May 09

  • From: "Delia Unson & Charles Heikkinen" <deliachuck@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BirdCntr <BIRDCNTR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Lennie Lichter <lennieandmaria@xxxxxxxxx>, WisBirdN <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 19:37:12 -0500

Great Egret
SNOWY EGRET
Dunlin
Semipalmated Plover
YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT

LOCATIONS MENTIONED

Baxter’s Hollow, Sauk County
Spring Green Preserve, Sauk County
UW Arboretum – Lost City area & Wingra Springs area
Pheasant Branch, County portion, Middleton
Nine Springs Natural Area
Schumacher Road Ponds
Brooklyn Wildlife Area

This is the birding hotline report of the Madison Audubon Society for
Monday, May 25th.

The Madison Audubon field trip to Baxter’s Hollow this past weekend
yielded both BLACK-BILLED and YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOOS, both ALDER and
OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHERS, and CONNECTICUT, MOURNING, CERULEAN,
LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH, BLACKBURNIAN, BLACKPOLL, BLUE-WINGED,
BLACK-AND-WHITE, and CANADA WARBLERS among others.  There were also a
good number of SCARLET TANAGERS present.

Birders at the Spring Green Preserve in Sauk County have recently
seen/heard good numbers of LARK and GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS, ORCHARD
ORIOLES, and a remaining NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD.  The last was seen most
recently on Sunday and was northeast of the parking area.

There were three singing HOODED WARBLERS in the Lost City area of the
UW-Madison Arboretum.  In the Wingra Springs portion of the arboretum
were both MOURNING and CONNECTICUT WARBLERS.

Observers at the county portion of Middleton’s Pheasant Branch
Conservancy have recently seen CLAY-COLORED SPARROWS, ORCHARD ORIOLES,
and YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOOS.

At Nine Springs Natural Area birders have seen up to 24 GREAT EGRETS,
a SNOWY EGRET, plus a number of shorebirds, including DUNLIN,
SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS, and other sandpipers.

Schumacher Road, north of Waunakee, has also had some shorebirds present.

A YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT has been seen/heard this year at the Brooklyn
Wildlife area.  It’s been seen in the area east of the north-most
parking area.

*****************************

The next Madison Audubon field trips are:

Thursday, May 28: Evening at Pheasant Branch
Enjoy an evening warbler walk at Pheasant Branch Conservancy,
Middleton, on the Dane County parcel. Migrating spring warblers,
vireos and thrushes will be the focus of our search, but we’ll
probably find other interesting birds. To reach the Dane County
parcel, drive one and a half miles north on Pheasant Branch Rd. from
Century Ave. Go to the third conservancy parking lot on the right
after you pass the Conservancy Condominiums. Meet at 6:00 p.m. Mike
McDowell (608) 850-4122 or mmcdowell@xxxxxxxx

Saturday, May 30: Janesville’s Cook Arboretum
Cook Arboretum, one of the premier birding spots in Rock County,
offers a variety of habitats, including bottomland forest, riparian
forest, scrub, field, and conifers. Several forest interior species
are found there. Warbler diversity is excellent with over 20 species
expected in late May. The trails are well-groomed, but the terrain is
rugged. Meet at 7:30 a.m. at the parking lot at the end of the drive.
From Madison take Hwy. 14 south through Evansville. Before Janesville,
take CTH H south (right) 1 mi. to CTH A. Take CTH A east (left) about
3 mi. The arboretum is on the left, at Austin Rd., 1 mi. before
Janesville. Travel time is approx. 40 min. from the Madison Beltline.
From I-90 and through Janesville: Take I-90 to Hwy. 26 (Milton Ave.)
interchange. Take Hwy. 26 into Janesville to Hwy. 14. Take Hwy 14 west
(right) 5 mi. to Hwy. 51. Take Hwy. 51 south (left) 4 mi. to Memorial
Dr. Take Memorial Dr. west (right) to the edge of town. Memorial Dr.
becomes CTH A. The arboretum is on the right, just outside the city
limits. Tom Klubertanz, tklubert@xxxxxxx or (608) 758- 6553.

Sunday, May 31: Birding Governor Dodge State Park
Come join us when we bird in the 5,000 acre Governor Dodge State Park
in the driftless area of southwest Wisconsin near Dodgeville. Bird
species seen on some recent field trips to Governor Dodge include
Bell’s Vireo, Yellow-breasted Chat, Hooded Warbler, Acadian
Flycatcher, Orchard Oriole, Henslow’s and Clay-Colored Sparrow. Trip
Leader John Romano has birded extensively here and conducted the
Breeding Bird Atlas work in Governor Dodge. Meet to carpool and leave
at 6:00 a.m. in front of the Home Depot located one-quarter mile south
of the Beltline off Verona Rd. A Wisconsin (day) state park sticker is
necessary to enter the park. We should return around noon. John Romano
(608) 238- 6039.

Sunday, May 31: Canoeing the Sugar River
Enjoy this unique opportunity to see the inside of one of the premier
birding areas of southern Wisconsin. We will canoe the Sugar River,
with leader Quentin Yoerger, in the Avon Bottoms State Wildlife area
to find birds of the flood-plain forest. Expect to see Prothonotary
Warblers, Yellow-billed Cuckoos, Red-shouldered Hawk and other unusual
birds. This trip is for experienced canoeists as we will need to get
around obstacles and so will be getting in and out of our canoes. (The
water is relatively shallow.) Bring your own canoe, insect repellant,
a lunch, water and binoculars. The trip will take us across the border
into Illinois and last about 5 hrs. (Those who would like a shorter 2
hour trip can take out at the Nelson Road landing.) Meet at the Beloit
Newark Rd. boat landing at 7:30 a.m. Directions: From Madison take
Hwy. 14 south to the intersection with Hwy. 138 near Oregon. Exit to
the right and go west about 1/5 mile. Turn left (south) onto CTH MM.
Follow this road straight south as it becomes Hwy. 104/ CTH T, past
Brodhead until Hwy. 81 is crossed, then continue south on CTH T
another 2 miles and turn left onto Beloit Newark Rd. Travel east for 1
mile and stop at the boat landing and parking lot. (Allow at least 45
min. for travel.) A limited number of people and canoes can go on this
trip so call or e-mail the leader, Quentin Yoerger, at (608) 882-6078
or harrierqman@ gmail.com to reserve space.

Good Birding!