[wisb] Re: Question: Least Bittern vocalizations

  • From: "Tom Schultz" <trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tiger150@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 08:37:38 -0500

Alyssa, if you have access to the Stokes CDs of North American bird calls,
there is a call series toward the end of the Least Bittern portion that
sounds very similar to the vocalizations you described, with distinct pauses
between the "cow" calls.  I have heard calls like this myself, especially at
White River Marsh in Green Lake Co.

I will see if I can email you the mp3 version of this species (which is
combined with American Bittern), so you can try to compare it to what you
heard.

Tom Schultz
Green Lake Co.