[wisb] Purple Sandpiper question

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 18:22:51 -0600

With all the Purple Sandpipers during the past 1.5 months (Dec- Jan),
it makes me wonder whether these are a few individuals that are
working up and down the Lake Michigan shoreline, mainly between
Milwaukee and Racine, but now also Sheboygan.  (The one in Kewaunee
undoubtedly moved down to the southern part of the state.)  Or could
they be new individuals moving in from up north???
We have had Purple Sandpipers lingering before along the Lake
Michigan shoreline into winter, but they either wintered (Sheboygan)
or eventually moved on.

Perhaps a close examination of the photos might reveal some answers.

I would suggest posting any thoughts you might have in regard to this.

Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI