[wisb] Preliminary Milwaukee CBC Results

  • From: Andrea Szymczak <harrierhawk1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 07:42:01 -0600

Our count was conducted this past Saturday, December 19th.  Overall, through
the collective hard work of the field parties we produced a solid collection of
species :)

I hate to even mention them, but a few of the "missed birds" included the
Scoter sp., Peregrine Falcon, Winter Wren, & Pine Siskin.  Also of note was the
near lack of Long-tailed Ducks (only 2 counted!).  I am still waiting for
checklists from six field parties, but this is what I have so far:

70 or 71 species on the count day: Highlights being all three Merganser sp., a
Horned Grebe & Common Loon, Snowy Owl, a terrific collection of gulls including
California (this is the bird that makes the tally uncertain....it may be either
from the count day itself or the Count Week depending on who writes it up!)
Iceland, Thayer's, and Lesser-black backed.

3 or 4 additional Count Week birds: Again, that CA Gull makes things a bit
uncertain, but we added Bald Eagle, Greater Black-backed Gull, and an injured
Sandhill Crane.

Wishes for a safe, happy Christmas to all!

Andrea Szymczak

Waukesha, WI