[wisb] Possible Eider/Sheboygan County

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 18:36:57 -0600

This afternoon from the south beach parking area at Kohler-Andrae State Park
I spotted a possible Eider. Viewing conditions were terrible. The lake was
rough and my views of the bird were limited to 1-2 seconds every 5-10
minutes due to the swells and deep troughs. The sunshine was limited and
hazy and the bird was probably over 300 yards out. I noticed the straight
descent of the forehead and bill which pointed to either an eider or scoter.
The bird did raise itself a couple of times and I noticed the breast was
much whiter than I would expect with a scoter. The shape seemed more
like an eider- compact with a thick neck. There appeared to be a white line
descending from the eye down the side of the neck rather than a white
patch which would be seen on a scoter. Unfortunately, I could not make out
bill color or the extent of feathering onto the bill. My guess would
be that it was a first winter male eider (sp), but without more details it
must remain just a guess. I spent 2 hours with the bird but saw nothing
more.
It seemed to be loosely associated with a flock of scaup and Ring-necked
Ducks, but it remained much farther out. I was hoping tomorrow's weather
would be more favorable for viewing this bird, but the forecast looks very
ugly, and the flocks may move on with the front anyway.
This is the prime time of year for spotting King Eiders, so check the ducks
carefully along Lake Michigan and please report if you see an Eider!

Also seen were 2 Red-throated Loons.

Thomas C Wood,Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County