[wisb] Port Washington and Sheboygan today

  • From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 20:48:00 -0600

Hi all,
Ted Keyel and I headed over to Port Washington this morning to check out the
new celebrity.  It was as obliging as ever, despite the poor lighting afforded
by the cloudy, wintry conditions.

At the risk of getting shot by the next person who happens along who hasn't
seen this bird, here are my photos from today:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto/

After getting our paparazzi fill, Ted and I headed up to Sheboygan. The
Barrow's Goldeneye (apparently one of currently 3 in the state now) was (while
nowhere near as obliging) definitely present in the harbor, along with around
30 other Common Goldeneye.  There were also quite a few gulls in the harbor.
Sitting on both the ice and the pier. Ted and I counted roughly a dozen each of
Great Black-backed and Glaucous.  Try as we might though, we couldn't find any
rare gulls. Although, the gulls were packed together, and I was having trouble
seeing due to the fact that I, and subsequently my scope, were shivering from
the cold.......   Ted had called out a Black Scoter the same instant I had
found the Barrow's so I never did get on his bird.

One of the best birds of the day, was a female Greater Scaup that, at first,
appeared to be coming to "attack" us. Fortunately for us, the bird stopped
about 15 feet away, stared at us for a second and then "Schplopped" (a crazy
combination of sploosh and plop that Ted and I thought re-created the sound it
made) into the slushy ice/water at the base of the pier. Ted and I nearly
collapsed laughing. :D
Anywho, the female Harlequin Duck at North Point made for a super ending to an
awesome day at the lake.

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Richland County
http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the
composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no
more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be
again."

(From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)