[wisb] Port Washington Kittiwake

  • From: Petherick Chris <cpetherick@xxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Bird List Wisconsin Bird List <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 17:09:36 -0600

Hello,

I was in the vacinity today, so I stopped by to see if I could find
the Black Legged Kittiwake that was reported.  From about 2:30 to 3:15
I watched as it flew around the river mouth/inlet just north of the
power plant in Port Washington.  I was on the north side of the
channel and it flew within 15 to 20 feet of me on several occasions,
offering great views.  As I watched this one and tried to continually
locate it as there were about 10 other gulls flying around I kept
thinking I had it only to notice that the one I was following had a
partially yellow bill, similar to a ring billed gull.  However, the
rest of the body looked very similar to the Kittiwake from a marking/
coloration standpoint, which made me wonder on several occasions if
there were actually 2 Kittiwakes present in slightly different levels
of maturity or do Kittiwakes go from black bill to all yellow with no
in between?  The second gull definitely had partial yellow/partial
black.  I'd be curious to know if anyone else saw that and if so, what
they thought - Kittiwake versus Ringed Bill.

I did not see the long tailed ducks or the GBB Gull that was
mentioned, but I didn't have a scope to get a good look at the break
wall.  Other species were hooded mergansers, red breasted mergansers,
coots, 2 common goldeneyes, Canada Geese and mallards.

Chris Petherick
Fox Point, Northeastern Milwaukee County