[wisb] Port Washington BL Kittiwake today

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 21:33:18 -0600

I took in the matinee performance of the Port Washington Black-legged Kittiwake
today.  I had just gotten my scope out of the car and started to walk over to
the south channel when the star of the show flew about 20 feet over my head.
"Well, that was easy!" said I.  It landed briefly in the channel, then flew
around the inner harbor for a bit, before landing again.  It stayed in the
inner harbor most of the rest of the time I was there.

I checked the outer harbor with my scope (hey, I had gone to the trouble of
getting it out of the car!)  Had a Great Black-backed Gull (prob. 3rd-cycle?)
out on the north breakwall, and a late DC Cormorant on a rock near the south
breakwall.  A lone Canvasback was behind the restaurant (no gimpy geese,
though.)  A Kestrel flew over as I was walking over to the north side of the
harbor.  I had to get up to Oshkosh, so didn't have time to go any farther on
the lakeshore.  Let's hope the good birds hang around until the Jan. 9 WSO
trip...

Peter Fissel
Madison WI