[wisb] Picnic Point - UW Campus - this p.m.

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 20:29:30 -0600

I had a mid-afternoon doctor's appointment, so decided to take my bins along
and go to Picnic Point on the UW Campus afterward.  Almost as soon as I had
started out along the trail along the marsh and lakeshore, I heard a Robin
squawking. It was in a large tree near the trail, along with a Red-bellied WP.
Had either several Brown Creepers, or a pair that was moving all over the
place. Unfortunately, as I headed out to the point, I heard shouting and then a
police car came up behind me on the trail (really a road that goes out to the
point.)  I quickly realized that someone had gone through the undoubtedly very
thin ice that had been open water as recently as New Year's Day.  Several more
police cars and the ice rescue squad quickly followed, so I stayed out of the
way.  I heard the ambulance take off, siren blaring, so I presume they got to
the guy (and I would bet anything it was a guy) in time.

I figured that with all the traffic, my odds of seeing the Screech Owl were
low.  It took me a while to find the Wood Duck box - I didn't find it by the
restrooms as the descriptions had led me to believe, but by the old, closed
bathhouse. (At least I assume I had the right box - it was the only one I saw.)
 No owl, of course.  I wandered out to the Biocore Prairie and then back to the
tall pines and spruces where the trails all come together.  Pishing produced
the expected Red-breasted Nuthatches and GC Kinglets.  I decided to check the
box one last time before I left, as it was getting darker.  I flushed a large
raptor out of the conifers, but I couldn't get a good enough look at it through
the trees to be sure.  I thought the head looked large, but it was flying away
from me.  If it was a GHO, the Screech Owl had better beware.  (Or maybe that's
why I didn't see the little owl...)

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.