[wisb] Re: Phantom Lake: Trumpeter Swans

  • From: Maureen Gross <cygnusbuccinator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 07:58:53 -0600

Nice photos Tom!
Trumpeters need a long runway to take off and they slap the water as
they move rapidly along the water surface.  I raised Trumpeters for the
DNR for 10 years as we worked to get them reintroduced in WI.  In both
the captive-reared groups and later, in wild flocks, the swans would
head bob if there was something new in their environment.  They would
also head bob when a new flock of swans joined them, perhaps individuals
they already knew.  Head bobbing is a common behavior that shows
excitement and alerts other swans.  It is not unusual to see a flock
head bob just before they take flight.

Male Common Goldeneyes throw their heads against their backs as a mating
display.  I have not seen this behavior outside of late winter and spring.

It's fun to read about birders' adventures in the field.

Maureen Gross
Mukwonago, Waukesha County