[wisb] Phantom Lake: Trumpeter Swans

  • From: "Wright Family" <thomas657@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 02:03:04 -0600

Late Saturday afternoon, I returned to Phantom Lake to view the two
Trumpeter Swans I saw earlier on Saturday morning.  Earlier, viewing between
Wales - Waukesha - Mukwonago - Dousman - Wales, were generally unproductive.
About the only birds viewed were a handful of Common Mergansers on the Fox
River near Les Paul Pkwy and a Red-tailed Hawk juts south of Dousman.  It
was a ho-hum morning.

 One of the two swans was active.  It waded in the water before taking
flight westward.  The swan showned some peculialr behavior as it bobbed its
head numerous times while letting out a modest call.  Unforuantely, the
video failed to capture the swan's sounds.  There were a bunch of Common
GOldeneyes along with the swan.  The males wre doing something odd as well.
Periodically, they would bend their heads backward until it pressed up their
backs.

 Trumpeter Swans:

Video of head bobbing:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/6861150183/in/photostream

Wading: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/6860826479/in/photostream
Preparing for takoff:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/6860826897/in/photostream/
Walkin' on Water:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/6860827413/in/photostream/
Walkin' on Water 2:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/6860828145/in/photostream/
Walkin' one last time:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/6860829279/in/photostream/
Houston, we have liftoff:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/6860829823/in/photostream/
In flight:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/6860830509/in/photostream/

Common Goldeneyes:

What is this behavior??
Backwards head-bob:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/6860825967/in/photostream/

Red-tailed hawk:  If you ever had trouble identifying a RT hawk in flight,
look at the following:
In-flight from underneath:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/6860825635/in/photostream/
And another from underneath: