[wisb] Pelican?

  • From: Mitchell Nussbaum <acornwithteeth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2014 14:07:25 -0700

I was driving to downtown Madison yesterday (Fri.)  and saw 3 large white birds
with black wingtips flying overhead. They were mostly soaring. A gull nearby
was much smaller in comparison. It was hard to get a very good look without
causing an accident, but I slowed down enough to look, and they appeared to
have their necks folded back like herons and egrets. I'd first thought they
might be Whooping cranes but cranes stretch their necks out. So I'm thinking
they may have been White pelicans.

Genie Ogden
Madison WI