[wisb] Black-necked Stilts, Snowy Egret, others/Dodge County

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2014 16:48:20 -0500

Today, on Old Marsh Rd. where the road makes the sharp bend (midway between
the Point Rd. and Auto Tour entrance gates-about a 1.5 mile walk), I saw two
Black-necked Stilts. They were in view for only a couple of minutes, but one
called and both flew a couple hundred yards together so they may have been a
pair. Due to distance and overcast conditions I was unable to determine the
gender of these birds. I was hoping to stay for awhile and perhaps locate
some young, but unexpected persistent thunder to the east compelled me to
get off Old Marsh Rd. as quickly as possible (which is not very quickly
these days!).
Also nearby was a Snowy Egret among about 40 Great Egrets.

Other birds of interest to me were 2 Trumpeter Swans, Forster's and Black
Terns, a heard-only American Bittern, 2 Black-crowned Night-Herons, 2 Least
Bitterns (seen in flight only), a Common Moorhen, 6 American Wigeon,
numerous White Pelicans and families of birds including Pied-billed Grebes,
Hooded Mergansers, Redheads, Yellow-headed Blackbirds, and of course the
Canada Geese. I found the Canada Geese to be interesting because of the
various stages of development in the young. Some were still quite small and
yellowish-tan all over, and some were about 3/4 the size of the adults with
plumage features just a little duller than the adults.

I missed the Bobwhite that Daryl found at the entrance gate to Main Dike
Rd., but a Henslow's Sparrow has been regular there and was calling and in
view this afternoon. Bobolinks are common at this location, too. Out on the
dike I saw two more Black-crowned Night-Herons and one flying American
Bittern, but neither saw nor heard any rails.

Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County