[wisb] Ozaukee and Sheboygan Counties today.

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 20:16:29 -0600

I started at Harrington Beach State Park and was treated to 6 Long-tailed
Ducks very close to shore in the point area. One female was among 5 adult
males and they were all quite active. In recent years, it has been more
difficult to see this species up close.
Since at least December 9, there have been 2 adult male Black Scoters
hanging out, also in the point area. They are best viewed with a scope, but
are exciting to see since females and immature males are  more likely seen
on the lake. They were accompanied by a female Black Scoter. A beautiful
adult male Surf Scoter was also in with the large scaup and goldeneye flock,
accompanied by an immature male or female Surf Scoter.
A female Black Scoter was on the lake at the end of Jay Rd. (scope
required).
In Sheboygan, the female Harlequin Duck is continuing. It sometimes
disappears for a little while, but today it was slowly working its way north
from the first pier south of North Point Park to past the parking lot. The
only unusual gulls I could find were two Great Black-backed Gulls. I met Rob
Pendergast and Trey, a visiting birder from Georgia, and they had seen a
good variety of gulls in Kewaunee, including Iceland. I did not see the
Snowy Owl that was reported in Sheboygan.
On the way back home, the Short-eared Owls at Schwengel WPA in Ozaukee
County were quite cooperative. At 4:10 P.M. I heard the barking call of one
of the birds and was able to see him perched on a low shrub. Soon another
bird flew up and both of them hunted together. One occasionally would perch
at the top of a tall tree, and another perched on a sign next to the road.
It was good to see them when there was still a reasonable amount of light.
Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County