[wisb] Ozaukee County today

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 18:08:34 -0500

Today was the best passerine migration day I have seen since that part of
the migration started. Between Lion's Den Nature Preserve and Harrington
Beach I saw 11 warbler species with multiples of some species. American
Redstarts were by far the most numerous, followed by Tennessee and Magnolia
which had about the same numbers. Several Blackburnian Warblers were at
Lion's Den, there were a few Blackpolls, and 1 Palm Warbler was at each
location. Singles were seen of Nashville, Mourning, Canada, Ovenbird, and
Northern Waterthrush.
Swainson's Thrushes were numerous, especially at Harrington Beach. I was
looking for my personal first-of-year Gray-cheeked Thrush and had a couple
of candidates, but since they were in the cedars and dimly lit I couldn't be
sure. Just before I was ready to leave Harrington, I spotted another
candidate and he gave me a series of harsh "veer" notes, unlike the "whick"
of a Swainson's Thrush. I'm glad I learned that call!

A juvenile Red-headed Woodpecker has been regular near the Puckett Pond
picnic area. If you hang around long enough, he eventually goes to the tall
dead tree near the pond.

A Green Heron was working the small cove under the iron-railed bridge at
Quarry Lake.

Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County