[wisb] Ozaukee County birding + Schlitz (9-3)

  • From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 18:01:39 -0500

Hey everyone,

Yesterday morning, I headed over to Harrington Beach State Park.  I arrived
around 10am to find the place more or less dead.  A scan of the lake produced
absolutely nothing except water.  The lake was a beautiful, caribbean blue
though, much like a blue Sapphire glinting in the sunlight.

I headed south to Lions Den, hoping to find more activity.  I was absolutely
amazed to find the parking lot jam packed with cars and the place crawling with
people, including a bunch of kids of various ages. Considering that yesterday
was the first day of school, I guess a lot of people were playing hooky from
both work and school.
Anywho, I was pleased to find a good flock of warblers right at the entrance.
Eight species altogether, including Blackburnian, Bay-breasted and Pine.
I walked back along the trails, attempting to avoid the crowds of people along
the way. There were a few warbler flocks here and there. In all, I totaled 12
species.  There was, however, very little else.

I then headed down and checked Virmond Park. Also dead.

My next stop was Schlitz Audubon center where I met up with my friend Daniel
Edelstein.  Schlitz was very quiet, but we managed several species of warblers,
including a very nice female Mourning.
The other surprise was a singing Carolina Wren near the lakeshore. It's amazing
how common they've become lately.

As the sun set, we made another pass through Lions Den and picked up another
Mourning Warbler, among other things.

It was a beautiful day to be out and about, even though the birding was a
little difficult. I totaled 14 species of Warblers for the day.

14 warblers were: Bay-breastedBlack-and-whiteBlackpollBlack-throated
GreenBlackburnianChestnut-sidedC
YellowthroatMagnoliaMourningNashvilleOrange-crownedPineTennesseeWilson's

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Richland CountyTour leader Swallowtail Birding Tours
https://www.facebook.com/Swallowtailbirdingtours?ref=hl
http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto

Interpretive Naturalist Mississippi Explorer Cruises
http://mississippiexplorer.com/chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the
composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no
more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be
again."

(From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)