[wisb] Northwoods Birding

  • From: "Wayne & Susie" <wsrohde@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 10:28:13 -0500

We just returned from yet another superlative swing through the Northwoods
(Pattison and Copper Falls State Parks, as well as the Porkies).  We visited
Hawk Ridge in Duluth just in time for the rain (though a few Sharpies were
zipping through) - on Tuesday, the 20th.  The same day I stopped at WI Point
late in the afternoon, and enjoyed watching a Parasitic Jaeger harass some
Ring-billed Gulls.

The fog pretty much obscured a decent view of Lake of the Clouds at the
Porcupine Mountains, but a lone Merlin did a nice circle around the
observation deck while we were there.  Siskins were also present.  The fog
made for interesting photos of the area, including Bonanza Falls near Silver
City, MI ... and I enjoyed the croaking of ravens in the fog.

For anyone traveling North to "Jaegerfest" in the future, I highly recommend
the Copper Falls area.  Hwy. 77 in particular --especially between Mellen
and Upson-- is loaded with some of the best autumn color in the state, year
in and year out.

A good day to all!

Wayne Rohde (wondering how to keep Red Squirrels out of our camper - one
chewed a 2" hole in the side of our camper to get to some chocolate cake
inside!!!)
Walworth, WI