[wisb] Northern Hawk Owl - Oneida Co.

  • From: Nancy Richmond <polarpastor@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 20:31:19 -0600

Mike Peczynski called Jeff and I this afternoon to tell us he had seen a
Northern Hawk Owl just North of Rhinelander. We went looking and found it
after a couple tries (just before we were going to give up). Watched it for
15-20 minutes (starting around 4pm) as it perched on a road sign, several
trees and hunted, making a couple of forays into the snow and weeds.
Hopefully it was more successful when we weren't watching.
It was right along Hwy 17 - a very busy road. It flew low across the road a
couple times. We were worried that it was going to be hit by a car. It spent
a good bit of time on an adopt-a highway road sign (this owl knows its
friends). We watched it through our scope - it seemed agitated turning its
head every few seconds. I managed to get a couple of pictures through the
scope with my point and shoot camera. I hadn't practiced this yet (new
camera), and the traffic and temperature didn't help. I think I should have
zoomed in more. Sigh. I'll learn.  The pictures are good enough to document
the ID on the bird. If I can figure out how to get them off my camera, I'll
post them on the Wisconsin eBird page.

Location: Highway 17 a couple miles North of Menard's. There's a sign for
"Grace Foursquare Church" on the East side of 17. County Road W goes West
shortly after (near a wintered in mini-golf). Mike saw it around noon in the
powerline across from the church. We saw it just North of the intersection
with W in the late afternoon. The area around 17 and W (and along W),
and a mile or so farther North - near Cross-Country Road look like good
possibilities if this bird remains in the area. Personally, I hope it heads
to Thunder Marsh SWA North of Three Lakes - more open habitat and no
traffic. There was a Northern Hawk Owl (my lifer) there 8 or 9 winters ago
that stayed for a long time.

Nancy Richmond
Polar - Langlade Co.
and Rhinelander - Oneida Co.