[wisb] Nine Springs this evening

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 22:23:04 -0500

Dan Doeppers and I led a group of 12-14 birders on a Madison Audubon walk at
Nine Springs on the southeast side of Madison tonight.  The rain obligingly
held off (and actually seems like it's not going to get here at all, now.)
Light wasn't good with the heavy cloud cover, but we still had enough at the
start to scope the shorebirds in the first pond.  There were 30-40 Dunlin, 2 SB
Dowitchers, a couple of Least SPs, and resident Spotted SPs & Killdeer.  Three
Caspian Terns were on the second pond, and a flock of four Black Terns flew
over later.  Our only herons were a couple of GBHs and a Green - no egrets.  We
saw very few migrant warblers - one or two Palms in the entrance woods, and a
heard-only Northern Waterthrush there as well.  Yellow Warblers, Common
Yellowthroats and Marsh Wrens sang all around us, especially out towards the
east end of the south dike. John Romano and I heard a distant Sora.  Best birds
were a couple of Common Nighthawks that gave us a nice close f
lyby.

After the group dispersed, John and I were yakking in the parking lot when we
heard a Woodcock "peent" - soon several were calling and displaying overhead.
No Willow Flycatchers yet - the dogwoods east of the boardwalk will soon be
full of them.

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.

To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn.
Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: //www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn.