[wisb] LaCrosse, Airport Beach (Fishermans' Rd., French I.) May 15

  • From: fred lesher <corax6330@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wis bird <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 19:51:11 -0700 (PDT)

Canada Goose: creche of 17 young with two adults. Probably represented at least
two separate broods, as several were much larger than the others.

Killdeer: two adults very anxious & deceptive in their behaviors as they were
trying to conceal four Killdeer chicks.

Upland Sandpiper--------1 appeared at the beach & on the road just outside the
Airport property & chain link fence. UPSA have nested regularly inside the
airport fence/property since at least 1965. Over the years, airport mowing
efforts have increased.

Pectoral Sandpiper------1 on the Airport Beach

Red-necked Phalarope----1 (F) According to my records, I have seen a RNPH near
LaCrosse two times previously: 1978, May 15 at Goose Island, 3F & 1M (31 years
ago to the day), and 1973, Sept. 30 (nearly 36 years ago) at the Genoa Fish
Hatchery along Hwy 35 south of Genoa, WI, 1 bird, no sex noted.

Fred Lesher
LaCrosse, WI

To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn.
Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: //www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn.