[wisb] Nine Springs, Dane County

  • From: "Charles Henrikson" <ckhenrikson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisconsin Birding Network" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 14:04:34 -0500

Another beautiful day for birding - sunny and no wind with a bit of fall
crispness but warming as the morning progressed!
Highlights:

2 Peregrine Falcon - (first of fall) First one flew over and then perched at
the top of a leafless tree.  Just below it was another taking apart a black
feathered bird (sp?).  When I approached they both flew off, the one carrying
away its prey.  They landed on a narrow spit of land in pond 3 or 4.  The one
continued to eat its prey.  I never saw any sharing.

1 Northern Shrike - (first of fall) It was perched on a leafless tree on the
south side of the path/road just across from the 12 inch diameter, blue-green
pipe.  I remember that I saw one in the same tree last fall.  Could it be the
same bird?

42 Northern Shoveler -  When I first arrived a group of 12 were in a tight
bunch, head under the water, swirling around on one spot.  Boy, there must have
been something really good to eat that they all wanted.  Interesting behavior!

20 Rusty Blackbird - I saw most of them on a mud flat in the middle of the
creek (south side of path/road) quite far east.  They were not only feeding on
the mud flat but also wading into the water a bit too.  Is that a typical
behavior for Rusty Blackbirds?   Yesterday at Lake Farm County Park the Rusty
Blackbirds were feeding on berries of the red twig and gray dogwood.

My eBird report is appended below.

Good birding to all,

Chuck Henrikson
Madison, Dane County