[wisb] Lake Park (Milwaukee) Duck Watch, Part 1

  • From: "Jym Mooney & Carol Lee Hopkins" <hopmoon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 13:00:59 -0500

I spent a couple of hours this morning scoping the lakefront from Bradford
Beach to the waste treatment plant.  Three Sanderlings on the beach with the
usual Herring and RB Gulls.  Horned Grebes were everywhere, mostly way out
on the lake, swimming and diving and flying, but a few in close for good
looks.  I counted a minimum of 50, easily.  Also five Black and five Surf
Scoters, two Buffleheads, three Greater Scaup, four Red-Breasted Mergansers,
three Gadwalls, and two or three Common Loons.  An Eastern Phoebe was
flitting around in the bushes by the soccer field.

Paul Hunter and I watched a large hawk fly north to south, fairly far out
over the lake.  We think it was crossing between the point where Shorewood
pushes out into the lake towards the point south of South Shore Yacht Club.
Its flight pattern was strong and straight, with several flaps followed by a
glide.  The bird was dark, but that may have been an artifact of the light,
with bright low sun behind it.  Paul first thought Peregrine Falcon, but the
wings were not thin and pointed enough.  Certainly not a Bald Eagle or
Osprey.  We think it may have been a Northern Goshawk, but we noticed that
the wings were held at a slight dihedral when it glided.  Not sure that that
fits for a Goshawk.  Any thoughts and comments are welcome to help us make
up our minds on this.

Paul was going to take the group down to Lakeshore State Park for the second
half of the duck watch, which I missed because I had to leave early.  He
will report on that.

Jym Mooney, Milwaukee