[wisb] Nine Springs - Dane

  • From: Max Witynski <birdmax922@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 20:30:40 -0500

I was unable to make it to the either of the Madison Audubon field trips
today so I tried out my new scope (Eagle Optics Denali) on my own at 9
Springs between 4:30 and 6:00 this afternoon.  I won't give details on all
the species present because I'm sure the trip leaders will have essentially
the same results as me.  However, I did have spectacular looks at lifer
WILSON'S PHALAROPES, and a few other unique sightings.
Initially, two female phalaropes flew in very close and landed in the 3rd
pond.  I watched them feed, bathe, and preen for about ten minutes, and then
two males flew in and each joined one female.  I almost laughed at how drab
and small they were, and how the females seemed to lead their "husbands"
around to various feeding spots.  Then, a pair of CASPIAN TERNS flew inches
over their heads, and I looked up to see all the shorebirds and ducks take
flight due to the presence of a 3rd year BALD EAGLE.  He made several
unsuccessful passes at goslings, even landing twice on the mud bars before
he was jointly set upon by the hissing Canada Geese parents and an
infuriated pair of Red-winged Blackbirds, taking flight, he was dived-bombed
by Crows!  I think he learned his lesson.  I was surprised to see many more
SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS than killdeer, about 10 in all.  I also saw a deer swim
across one of the ponds and a tiny painted turtle sunning himself on top of
a massive snapper.  Also present was the previously reported (injured?)
GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE.

Near my yard on the west side of Madison today I had TENNESSEE,
CHESTNUT-SIDED, and a pair of CAPE MAY WARBLERS.  My neighbor's yard has
a nesting pair of HAIRY WOODPECKERS, whose young can be heard begging for
food constantly.  Good luck to everyone tomorrow, should be a spectacular
day!

Max Witynski,
Madison, Dane