[wisb] Re: Nighthawk musings

  • From: ROBERT SPAHN <rspahn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "petermckeever@xxxxxxxxxxx" <petermckeever@xxxxxxxxxxx>, 'Wisconsin Birding Network' <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 09:19:07 -0700 (PDT)

Peter:
    Interesting and complicated question relative to the nighthawks. First
thing, for the northern tier of states and a bit south late August and early
September is the peak time for Common Nighthawk migration, so people will
encounter them both by going to spots where they are known to pass annually or
by just being out birding and running into groups moving, typically in the
evening. Looking up much is often not required. I still remember as a kid
playing golf tournaments in Iowa (not far off the Mississippi River) and
wrapping up at dusk in late August having hordes of nighthawks sweeping over
the course at head level or less doing some hunting, but mainly just moving
south.

    This summer in Vilas County. on 8/16 we had birds hunting, "beeping", and
booming over clearcuts (where they breed) not far off the Wisconsin River. On
8/23, 24, and 25, we had sizeable numbers migrating west to east with little
sign of erratic movements of feeding other than the groups we had dropping
briefly over the Wisconsin River to feed before moving on as I noted earlier
for the 25th. In that period in checking a few breeding areas we found none.
    On these three dates, the observations were serendipitous; we were
basically birding (as always) and aware of the CONI possibility, but not
specifically searching. On the 23rd the birds were over the south edge of Eagle
River passing as we completed pumping gas and at that point over a "suburban"
type setting.
On the 24th the birds we saw were over a patchwork of intact and clearcut
county and state forest and from treetop height to very high. On the 25th the
"special" part was the wide span of the observations, with birds in sight
headed w to e for about 6 miles of our s to n driving and then continuously for
our 3 miles more driving west.

    The several postings sound like there was widspread movement over this
period over much of WI and on south and that many spotted numbers that were
high relative to recent experience.

Bob Spahn