[wisb] New Years scouting- Lake Michigan

  • From: tom prestby <jjprestby@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbird <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 16:44:36 -0600

Andy Paulios, Quentin Yoerger, and I birded Lake Michigan today. The following
should serve as a good scouting report for many birders who will be starting
out next year with a trip to the lake:

In Sheboygan the nice concentration of large winter gulls is still present. At
least 20 Great Black-backeds and 15-20 Glaucous were present-- mainly at the
beach just south of North Point. The Harlequin Duck was present just off the
North Point parking lot and the male Barrow's Goldeneye was in the river mouth.
It could only be viewed from the Blue Harbor resort since it was tucked in to
the NW part of the harbor (not viewable from the Pennsylvania Ave dead end). 2
Canvasbacks were present with the goldeneye here as well.

Harrington Beach had a lot of Scaup and Red-breasted Mergansers and an adult
Glaucous Gull but nothing unusual. The Kittiwake was with the Ring-billed Gulls
off the restaurant in the north end of the Port Washington Harbor. A female
Canvasback was with the Mallards.

We saw 2 Snowy Owls on Six Mile Rd-- one on the west side of the road just
south of Jay Rd and one about two miles south of here on the east side of the
road. Several Rough-legged Hawks in the area as well.

Ice is filling the McKinley Marina and the gull flock is much smaller than last
week. All open water in the Marina could be gone by the weekend. At South Shore
we found a Snowy Owl actively hunting the docks at about 3:30pm-- probably the
same bird that has been in the area because we did not see it from the Hoan
Bridge at the end of the Petro. Pier as we were leaving.

Happy New Year!

Tom Prestby
Milwaukee