[wisb] 2009 Pheasant Branch Conservancy wrap-up!

  • From: "Mike McDowell" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 16:43:12 -0600

Just a few notes from Pheasant Branch Conservancy in 2009...

I observed 31 warbler species at the conservancy this year:

Blue-winged Warbler, Golden-winged Warbler, Tennessee Warbler,
Orange-crowned Warbler, Nashville Warbler, Northern Parula, Yellow Warbler,
Chestnut-sided Warbler, Magnolia Warbler, Cape May Warbler, Black-throated
Blue Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Black-throated Green Warbler,
Blackburnian Warbler, Pine Warbler, Palm Warbler, Bay-breasted Warbler,
Blackpoll Warbler, Cerulean Warbler, Black-and-white Warbler, American
Redstart, Prothonotary Warbler, Worm-eating Warbler, Ovenbird, Northern
Waterthrush, Louisiana Waterthrush, Mourning Warbler, Common Yellowthroat,
Hooded Warbler, Wilson's Warbler, and Canada Warbler.

I tallied 15,244 individual birds into eBird from 76 checklists.

Pheasant Branch's eBird bird species count is now up to 209.

A Pheasant Branch SEDGE WREN helped me become one of the winners in
Swarovski's 2009 Digiscoper of the Year Contest:

http://www.birddigiscoper.com/birdSEWR06.html

http://www.bwd.digiscoperoftheyear.com/en_us/winners

Part of Madison Audubon's CBC, my results for Pheasant Branch yielded 33
species on Dec. 19th:

Canada Goose     113
Tundra Swan     13
Mallard     15
Bufflehead     10
Common Goldeneye     8
Common Merganser     60
Bald Eagle     1
Northern Harrier     1
Red-tailed Hawk     1
American Coot     2
Ring-billed Gull     22
Rock Pigeon     40
Mourning Dove     4
Red-bellied Woodpecker     7
Downy Woodpecker     10
Hairy Woodpecker     4
Northern Flicker     1
Northern Shrike     1
Blue Jay     12
American Crow     19
Black-capped Chickadee     39
White-breasted Nuthatch     13
American Robin     28
European Starling     12
Cedar Waxwing     2
American Tree Sparrow     9
Song Sparrow     1
White-throated Sparrow     12
Dark-eyed Junco     25
Northern Cardinal     17
House Finch     6
American Goldfinch     30
House Sparrow     6

My personal favorite digiscoped images for 2009:

http://www.birddigiscoper.com/birdEATH2.html

http://www.birddigiscoper.com/birdBAOW91.html

Taken, naturally, at Pheasant Branch Conservancy.

Happy Birding in 2010!  Bird locally!

Mike McDowell
Madison - Dane County
www.birddigiscoper.com