[wisb] My sure sign of Spring? Red Winged Black Birds Menononee Falls

  • From: bill askme <faithful_falcon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 14:24:02 -0800 (PST)

I am a newbie birder, so what I am about to share might make some of you laugh,
or say you know nothing at all yet.  I think spring has come early and often
watch for my first red winged blackbird to tell me its a sure sign that spring
is just around the corner. Yesterday, I saw two male red winged blackbirds and
heard them singing, and getting a reply back from a third bird I did not see.
They were in a marshy area, in Menomonee Falls.
I have seen Robins stay around all winter, I have never seen a Red Wing
Blackbird winter in this state. Am I misguided to say spring is just around the
corner when I see a red winged blackbird?

William Joers
Colgate Wisconsin
Washington County