[wisb] Mud Lake and Sugar River

  • From: Rowan Stamm <rowan.stamm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 17:08:22 -0600

     We decided to go for a drive around Mud Lake today and we did pretty good.
As we left our driveway we noticed two Turkey Vultures circling. We then drove
to the South end of Mud Lake. When we arrived there were about twenty turkeys
on the path which was quite show when they all flew away. When we got down to
the lake we realized all of the ducks and geese were on the other end of the
lake and since the tripod for my scope broke we couldn't see much of anything.
So we drove to the other end but the only thing of note were the large flock of
swans sitting with geese on the ice. Next stop was Babcock Co. Park where we
sat around and photographed Mallards and Shovelers for a while.We then drove
around by Belleville checking the Sugar River for anything we could find. Right
off of county highway PB where the river come up to the road we saw and
photographed two Sandhill Cranes and a lone Kingfisher. All around a pretty
good trip.

Rowan Stamm, Verona Dane Co.