[wisb] More on Milwaukee Lakefront, 2/1/12

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 17:44:36 -0800 (PST)

In an earlier posting I described the Long-tailed Duck I found today in the
Discovery World harbor. I was kicking myself for not having a camera with me.
My old reliable pocket camera "died" two weeks ago, and I haven't had a chance
to replace it. This duck was so cooperative it was almost like it was sitting
for a portrait. :-(  Maybe this will push me over the edge as far as getting a
new camera!

There were a few other interesting highlights in addition to the Long-tailed
Duck:

* A half dozen Common Redpolls working their way north near the Oak Leaf Trail
along the lake bluff near Veterans Park.

* Only a few Canada Geese!

* Hundreds of ducks in Milwaukee Harbor. Many were pretty far out, but it
looked like the majority were Common Goldeneyes, followed by Scaups (mainly
Greater, with scattered Lessers), and Mergansers (mainly Red-breasted, with
some Commons), and a few Buffleheads.

* The male Common Goldeneyes were doing their "peent" courtship calls quite
often. I used to think this call sounded like the calls of American Woodcock
and Common Nighthawk. Upon further review (after listening to the ducks "peent"
for 15-20 minutes) I decided that the Goldeneyes sound a lot more like a
Woodcock than a Nighthawk.

* Got to hear a Merganser vocalize for the first time ever. I think I startled
this bird for some reason, even though I wasn't all that close. It gave a
couple of calls that sounded like a cross between a quack and a bark, and then
skittered across the water as it took flight.

* Just to the east of Discovery World there were two male Common Goldeneyes
doing courtship displays for an audience of three females. The males were doing
what I think is called a "head throw". They stick their heads straight forward
so that the head and neck are touching the water's surface in front of their
body. Then they abruptly snap their heads backwards to their rumps with the
bill pointed back past vertical. I don't understand how they don't get whiplash
from this manuever. :-) Very interesting to watch, though!

* Sometimes I wonder why birds I normally see in flocks sometimes show up as
"loners". Today I saw a a male Bufflehead solo in an area where no other ducks
were close by. And a solitary Canada Goose grazing in the grass with no other
geese in sight. Are they just feeling anti-social? :-)

* Saw 150+ European Starlings feeding on berries from two very small ornamental
fruit trees. Biggest flock of starlings I've ever seen in my neighborhood.

* Finally, there must be some big run of fish at the mouth of the Milwaukee
River. There were easily 15 fishing boats parked there in a fairly tight group
today...

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee