[wisb] Milwaukee, 2-1-2012, Long-tailed Duck

  • From: Zachary Sutton <zaksutton2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 19:51:54 -0600

After reading Bernie Sloan's report of the LONG-TAILED DUCK south of
Discovery World, I headed there right after work and arrived around 4:00
pm.  It only took me five minutes to find it.  It had been hiding
underneath the wooden walkway on the south side but came  out when someone
walked over head.  It gave me good views (but sadly I didn't bring my
camera to work) and it was associating with a male COMMON GOLDENEYE. I
think Bernie is right in deciding it is a male, even though it did NOT have
a long tail.  Its bill was colored like a male's and its back was pure
white, just like a male.  However, I am far from an expert on waterfowl.
I plan on heading there again tomorrow after work (this time with my
camera) in hopes of finding it again.

Thanks Bernie for finding and sharing this beautiful bird!

Zak Sutton
Waukesha