[wisb] Milwaukee lakefront 2/4

  • From: "Jym Mooney & Carol Lee Hopkins" <hopmoon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 16:32:46 -0600

This morning I checked McKinley Marina, and found what I at first thought
was a Thayer's Gull among the Herrings and Ringed-bills.  But the wingtip
pattern bothered me, and after sharing photos on my Facebook page it appears
to be a Kumlien's Iceland Gull with darker wingtips.  Very cool!

This afternoon I found a definite Thayer's Gull at South Shore Yacht Club,
harassing the Herrings and RBs at the small beach by the launch where a kid
was tossing out bread.

The Snowy Owl was perched on a dirt hill at the Coast Guard Impoundment,
giving terrific full-length views to several excited birders.  I also had an
American Kestrel at the CGI.

Jym Mooney, Milwaukee